Next: Sweet Onion Soup
Wild Mushroom Soup
Five to six servings
3 1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 lbs wild mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
1/2 cup chopped shallots
3 Tbsp dry sherry
5 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp dried thyme
4 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
Chopped fresh parsley or fresh thyme leaves
- Heat olive oil and butter in a soup pot over high heat until the butter is melted.
- Add mushrooms and shallots. Saute stirring often until mushrooms are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add sherry, flour and dried thyme. Reduce the heat to low and stir constantly for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock, salt and pepper, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until slightly thick, about 20 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley or thyme.
Serve with Paul Mathew Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir.