Pair with Paul Mathew Cabernet Franc
Serves 4 - 6 entree
1 med red onion finely chopped
2 jalepenos chopped finely and seeded
1 tsp olive oil
3 garlic clovers finely chopped
3 tbspn. Chili powder
2 tspn cumin
1 tspn sugar
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 tomato chopped and seeded
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb boneless chicken pieces
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1 cup Monterey jack cheese
½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
12 soft tortillas
- Combine onion, jalepeno, with oil in large sauce pan over medium heat. Cook stirring until softened, 8 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, sugar and cook about a minute. Mix in tomato sauce, water and chopped tomato. Bring sauce to a simmer lower heat and cook till slightly thinkened, approx.. 5 minutes.
- Nestle chicken pieces into sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until chicken is completely cooked through. Approx 12 – 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to bowl to cool.
- Strain sauce into medium bowl. Transfer the solids ( onion mixture ) to a large bowl and set aside.
Season strained sauce with salt and pepper.
- Shred chicken and add to onion mixture. Add ¼ cup of sauce and ½ cheese and cilantro. Stir
- Preheat oven to 425˚. Oil 9 x 13 baking dish. Spray with cooking spray.Spoon 1/3 cup of chicken mixture into tortilla, roll up and place seam down in baking dish. Continue with remaining filling and tortillas.
- Lightly spray the top of enchiladas and place in oven uncovered for 7 – 10 minutes, till lightly browned.
Reduce oven temp to 400˚. Remove enchiladas from oven and pour sauce over the top, covering completely, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove foil and bake another 5 minutes until cheese browns.