Next: Lamb Meat Loaf
Lamb Stew for Pinot Noir
Four to six servings. This stew was made specifically to go with Pinot Noir.
2 Tbls unsalted butter
2 medium onions chopped
3 lbs lamb shoulder chops
2 tsp of fresh thyme
2 star anise
6 medium boiling potatoes
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup pomegranate juice
1 cup Pinot Noir
1/2 tsp raspberry vinegar
1/2 tsp corn syrup
8 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1/8 inch discs
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/4 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in large stock pot and add onions. Cook until soft, do not brown. Medium heat.
- Salt and pepper lamb and add to stock pot.
- Add fresh thyme.
- Add 2 potatoes peeled and sliced thin to pot. These will work to thicken the stew.
- Add chicken stock, pomegranate juice, Pinot Noir, vinegar, and corn syrup.
- Add 4 potatoes peeled and quartered.
- Cook for one hour over low heat with a lid on the pot.
- Add the carrots, barley and heavy cream.
- Cook for one more hour or until the meat is tender. The lamb should fall off the bone and shred into small pieces. Be careful to pick out the bones.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with fresh thyme.
Serve with Paul Mathew Russian River Pinot Noir.